Can You Use Olive Oil in Brownies to Make them Healthy Choice
Can you use olive oil in brownies? Is it a question that often comes to your mind? Let us make things simple for you and the answer is you can use olive oil in brownies. This is a healthier alternative when you are worried about those extra calories. I do understand the fact that some people cannot resist desserts. I am one of them so I am always on the lookout for healthy ways to prepare my desserts. Brownies are my ultimate weakness and I make them quite often. This time I tried making brownies with olive oil and the result was just awesome.
Healthy Brownie recipe
I am about to share the details of the recipe with you so that you can also prepare brownies the healthy way in your kitchen.
When you prepare brownies with olive oil it just gives a great twist to the actual recipe and definitely complements the flavour of dark chocolate so try this out.
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cooking time: 30 min
- 1/3 C dark Cocoa Powder
- ¼ C all-purpose flour
- ¼ t baking powder
- 5 ounces dark chocolate
- 1 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 C chocolate chips
- 1/3 C extra virgin olive oil
- First of all your oven needs to be pre-heated to 500 degree F.
- Take an 8 by 8 inch baking pan and line it with parchment paper.
- Take a bowl and whisk together baking powder, cocoa powder and flour.
- Take a saucepan and combine the olive oil and chocolate that is chopped in chunks.
- Place the saucepan over low heat and allow the chocolate to melt.
- Once the chocolate has melted make sure that you remove the saucepan from the heat and continue stirring so that the chocolate is mixed well.
- Now is the time to add the granulated sugar to the saucepan having the chocolate. The mixture will give more of a grainy look once it is combined well.
- Next add in the eggs to the chocolate mixture. Make sure that you only add one egg at a time. Whisk well.
- Now combine the dry ingredients with the delicious chocolate batter. Mix well till the batter is well incorporated.
- Now is the time to add in the chocolate chips.
- Now the batter needs to be moved to the baking pan. Allow the brownies to bake for about 30 to 35 minutes. When the top of the brownies start to give a shiny look then insert a toothpick in the brownies to check if they are done. Once the brownies are done the toothpick will not have any brownie batter on it and will be clean.
- Once the brownies are baked make sure that you cool them on a wire rack. You can slice the brownies after 1 to 2 hours once they are cooled completely. You can easily preserve the brownies in an air tight container for about 5 days.
Tips to make the perfect brownies
I am also sharing a few tips that can help you prepare the best brownies.
- Make sure that you always use eggs at room temperature. The reason is that if you use cold eggs then they can cause a dense texture. Secondly, cold eggs do not mix easily.
- One thing that you need to remember while making the brownies is that you should not fold the flour completely. This can cause the texture to become very dense. You should be able to see some flour streaks. This is an assurance that you have not mixed the batter too much.
- Now if the recipe says that the brownies will be done in about 30 minutes then make sure that you check the brownies five minutes before the actual time. The reason is that if the brownies stay for even one or two minutes extra then this can spoil the texture of the brownies.
- Remember that if you bake the brownies in a metal pan then they will definitely cook faster. On the contrary, if you use a glass dish then it will take longer to cook the brownies so you need to keep these aspects into consideration when baking the brownies.
I am sure that you will love this brownie recipe and you will find cooking with olive oil a lot of fun. Try out this recipe today and let me know the outcome.